Straightening Curly Hair
(We do not advise that you straighten process curls like Kinky Kurls)
Most people are afraid of straightening curly hair,however, the task is not as daunting once you know what you are doing.. a few tips!
The most important thing is that you do not want to damage
your pretty curls! And you do not want to end up with a
head full of frizzy straight/wavy/curly hair!
Ceramic Iron – To get your curls super straight without
damaging the hair you need a ceramic flat iron.
- GVP at Sally’s is very effective and goes for about $60!
- Chi Ceramic Iron
- FHI Ceramic Iron
Heat Protection: this is to protect your hair from the heat.
- GVP Heat protection at sallys
- Nexxus Heat Protectant
- IC Hair Polisher Heat Protector Straightening Serum
Humidity Control- this is so that your straight hair lasts
- Sabino Moisture block (http://www.sabinohair.com/moisture-block.php)
- Mizani Humidity Resistant Mist (http://www.mizani-usa.com/default.aspx?m=11&p=5094&rid=300)
- Aveda Humectant (http://www.aveda.com/templates/products/sp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY11544&PRODUCT_ID=PROD5822
Once you have all your tools; you are ready!
Wash hair thoroughly, you should use a clarifying shampoo and then a moisturizing shampoo, then condition as usual!
Do not leave any conditioner in the hair, rinse hair very well, make sure all products is out of the hair.
You may opt to blow dry or let air dry. If you are going to blow dry, the work will be easier, use a diffuser ( so that the heat will be distributed equally) Use heat protectant before blow drying.
Once your hair is dry; you can section the hair, use heat protectant again on the hair, and use a light serum; wait a few minutes for serum to dry; then flat iron as usually.
Once all the hair has straightened spray your humectant lightly on the hair. Daily basis, you should get away with just using a tiny bit of serum and the humidity control product.
Versatile curls rock !